|Canon Peter Ng|
Presiding Bishop Michael Curry has announced the retirement of Canon Peter C. Ng from his position as Episcopal Church Partnership Officer for Asia and the Pacific, a position he has held since 2005.
“The true Christ-centered holiness, humility and humanity of Peter have made him a bridge person between cultures and peoples and churches in Asia, the Pacific Rim and the Americas,” Presiding Bishop Curry said. “He has helped us all to make real the old song that says --- in Christ there is no east nor west, in him no south or north, but one great fellowship of love, throughout the whole wide earth.”
Born in China and raised in Hong Kong, Ng moved to the United States in 1969 and resides in Queens, NY. Since 1989, Ng has served as a professional lay employee for the Episcopal Church, working with national, diocesan and local church organizations, councils and networks.
“I have been enriched by the opportunity that few are given to witness the Church at work from a global perspective. And I am proud to have been a member of the Presiding Bishop's staff,” Ng said.
His duties, positions and responsibilities with the Episcopal Church have included the following:
• President of the Board of St. Margaret's House of Trinity Church Wall Street, 2007-2010
• Member of the Board of Directors of the Foundation for Theological Education in SE Asia since 2005 and Board Chair since 2011.
• President Emeritus of the Episcopal Asia American Ministry Council, since 2003.
• Honorary Lay Canon of Episcopal Church in the Philippines, since 2012
• Vestry Member of Trinity Church Wall Street, 2009 – 2015
• Social Transformational Fellow of Trinity Church Wall Street, 2004 - 2005
• The Global Episcopal Mission Network, official representative of the Episcopal Diocese of New York, 1997 – 2001
• Member of the Executive Council of the Episcopal Church, 1992 - 1997
• President of the Episcopal Asia American Ministry Council, 1997 – 2002
• Member of the Advisory Board of The Anglican Communion Observer at the United Nations, 2001 - 2004
• Program Director for the Bishop Richard F. Grein Jubilee Community Center, the first Asian Jubilee Center in the Episcopal Church, 1992 – 2010
"Peter's contributions to our Church and to the Anglican Communion are too many to list,” noted the Rev. Canon C.K. Robertson, Ph.D., Canon to the Presiding Bishop for Ministry Beyond The Episcopal Church. “He has been a remarkable gift to us all, and will be greatly missed."
Canon Ng’s retirement will take effect in February 2017.